New Curragh Camp
Barracks was the first section of the Curragh to be rebuilt, this occurred in
1879. The present red bricked camp emerged on the skyline of the plains about
the turn of the century. The rebuilding went on for a number of years and
would appear to have commenced about 1894. Work began on the western side of the
camp, the Kildare side, and progressed from west to east. A War Department map,
revised in 1901, shows the camp from the Water Tower to the west as completed,
whereas the section to the east is still in its old form.
When completed, seven new barracks made up the
camp and these barracks were named, from west to east, as follows
Ponsonby Barracks now Plunkett Barracks.
Stewart Barracks now Connolly Barracks.
Beresford Barracks now Ceannt Barracks.
A.S.C. Barracks now Clarke Barracks.
Engineer Barracks now MacDermott Barracks.
Gough Barracks now MacDonagh Barracks.
Keane Barracks now Pearse Barracks.
The camp moved forward into the 20th century and in March, 1914, the calm and routine peacetime soldiering was suddenly disrupted by an event to be known in history as “the Currragh Mutiny.” Since it was the most significant event that has ever taken place on the Curragh it merits a detailed examination.